Monday 28 March 2011

Just for Fun

I am trying to regain my sense of humor.  I think it disappeared in a puff of smoke.  No, I have not started smoking again.  But it seems like my sense of humor - albeit it a weird sense of humor - has left me.  I am more serious than I have been in a long time.  Things do not strike me as being funny anymore. 

I know I have not cried in almost 4 years, but will I be saying, in 4 years from now that I have not laughed in 4 years?  That thought is pretty scary. 

I finished writing my 3 prompts (that were due in April) and that in itself should bring a smile to my face.  It does bring a sense of accomplishment, but a smile?  Let me see, today is Day 28 of not smoking - and it is Day 28 of not laughing.  Funny eh?  (No, I am not laughing as I type this).  One of the prompts given by my writing group had a strong lean toward a murder.  And I struggled with it when I thought of actually writing something that 'might' have me kill off one of my characters.  I could not do that.  It just wasn't in me.  I joked with my writing group members that I might kill a fire, but that was about as close to killing something as I could get.  For me, the thought of killing anything, even a thought, seemed an impossibililty.  Except for killing a mosquito (and even there, I always had to turn my head) was an ordeal. 

But yesterday as I finished that last prompt (yes, I left that particular prompt for the last one), I looked at my finished product and thought to myself 'why did I have absolutely no trouble killing off one of my main characters?'.  Has stopping smoking brought out a beast in me that I did not know existed?  Would I suddenly turn into a mystery writer?  Would I walk along the same path as Stephen King and imagine all sort of killing sprees brought on by dead people?  Would my heart harden now that I no longer smoked?  Was it worth selling my soul in order to not smoke?   Would I ever be able to write something amusingly witty ever again? 

Time will tell, as they say.  But somehow last night, as I finished my short story, I had a certain sense of pleasure in having killed off a character.  Death had a certain appeal that I had never experienced before.  Ah well, such is life....and death!! 

Strange what not smoking can do to me. 

2 comments:

  1. When I quit smoking I spent several months depressed as well. You will about 6-8 months in realize you don't want to sit around wishing you were smoking and sulking cause you can't. Once you get there you can get out and start your new rest of your life....

    HANG IN THERE!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you seriously kill of a character??? You have to let me read that... it will be interesting to see how you did it... considering you can't even kill an insect. :0)

    Hang in there, my friend.

    ReplyDelete