Friday 22 April 2011

Good Friday

Some people spend Good Friday by going to church and that is just wonderful.  Today, I honored the day by asking someone's forgiveness and was told I was forgiven.  It was only afterwards that it dawned on me just how appropriate this was.......... to be forgiven on Good Friday.  I had said something not very nice to someone about four years ago and I would, once in a while, think about that and wish that I could somehow apologize.  But that person had blocked me from MSN and Facebook (with good reason) after it happened.  I realized it was all my fault, but there was no way I could reach her to apologize.  There had been quite a bit of stress in my life at that time, but I knew that was no excuse for my behavior.

Then this morning, I saw her name on Facebook and sent a quick private message requesting her friendship and she accepted.  I was then able to apologize and received a 'I forgive you' message.  That made my heart happy.  I know we will perhaps not have much in common anymore and that is OK.  I was able to reach out and be forgiven.

Then it dawned on me - today was Good Friday - a day when we are forgiven.  I am not a religious person, but more of a spiritual person.  I have this saying 'religion is for those who are afraid of going to hell, spirituality is for those who have already been there'.  So I sit quietly today and ponder this mystery of forgiveness and why this should happen on this day.  The irony struck me.  For Good Friday is about releasing us to live as we were meant to.  It is about accepting God's forgivenesss.  And it is also about living with the motto to 'love one another'.  This all happened today.  And I feel released and I feel blessed. 

I also know that it is so very important to hear the words 'I forgive you'.  It is necessary to 'let go' after one apologizes and I can do that - after I have apologized.  But I had not been able to reach out to this person and ask her forgiveness until this morning.  And with ease and understanding, she freed me of guilt.  How like Good Friday that is (without going into any talk about 'religion' or 'faith').  But somehow I was touched in a miraculous way this morning.  And I am thankful.

Earlier this week, I also reconciled with someone else - this has indeed been a Holy Week for me.

So, today (or tomorrow or the day after or whenever you read this) - if there is someone you should apologize to, apologize - it will release you (whether they forgive you or not).  If there is someone that you are holding a grudge against, forgive them and allow them to feel that freedom that only forgiveness can bring.

May you enjoy your own Good Friday in whatever way you honor it.  And then be free to truly enjoy Easter and all it means to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment